Getting driving license in Dubai
It is always a privilege to drive your own car in UAE although there are a variety of public transport options, which are very efficient, connecting almost any locations in the UAE. To get driving license in Dubai is not easy, given the rigorous evaluation tests that even experience drivers may fail in the first round. Probationary license is offered to youngsters aged 18-21 years of age, you can apply after they clear the different rounds of tests.
Procedure to get driving license in Dubai
- Register for a driving license course in one of the authorized driving schools by opening your RTA file.
Authorized Driving Schools in Dubai
- Al Ahli Driving School-04-3411500 (10 branches)
- Belhasa Driving School– 04-3243535 (18 branches)
- Dubai Driving Center– 04-3455855 (13 branches)
- Emirates Driving Institute-04-2631100 (53 branches/mall counters)
- Galadari Driving School-04-2676166 (14 branches)
- Drive Dubai 04-8855118
- You can opt to register for either automatic or manual gear transmission for their car driving license. Automatic license holders are not permitted to drive manual gear vehicles.
- You need to get an eye test done either with an optician or at your driving school
- The training course begins with lectures on road signals, hazards and guidelines on safe-drivingand it is mandatory to take all the lectures for 8 hours before starting practical training classes.
- Take the Theory Test which includes total of 35 questions, 17 on general traffic situations and 18 questions related to the applied driving license.
- At least 12 correct answers are necessary to be eligible for the road test.
- Take the Risks Recognition Test which contains a few videos that depicts specific environmental conditions and asks the candidate how he/she can cope with them.
- Once you pass the two tests, a pre-evaluation test is necessary for students who have signed up for 30 and 20 classes to evaluate their driving experience.
- After passing this, students can begin their practical training.
- Students who do not possess any driving license (from any country) have to register for 40 classes.
- Students possessing their country’s license which is 2-5 years old have to take 30 classes.
- Students possessing their country’s license which is more than 5 years old have to take 20 classes.
- After your practical training classes, you have to first book for your RTA parking test and assessment test.
- After clearing your assessment test, you will complete your highway training before going for the final road test.
- Road Test: On the date assigned, go with all your documents: your passport, driving file, two photos to the RTA License Section. Fill up and submit the application form and fees of approximate Dh200 for the road test. Once your name is called out, go with the RTA inspector to the designated car. You will be given just a few minutes to demonstrate your driving skills.
Documents required for Dubai driving license
- Passport (original and copy) with residence stamp, No-Objection Certificate from employer and eight photos.
- The receipt of the eye test must be submitted to your driving school.
- A theory test fee of Dh200
- Dh200 for the road test and relevant ID, driving file, and two photos
Those who have a valid UAE driving license from any emirate can get their driving file transferred from that emirate to Dubai RTA before opening a file for any other vehicle category. If you do not have a driving license or have never driven before, then you must undergo training.
Eligibility for driving license
The provision of a driving learning permit and the application for a new driving license are available to individual customers, citizens, and residents who are over the legal drinking age and medically fit. In order to receive a driving license, you must be at least 18 years old, depending on the vehicle for which you are applying for the license.
- Motorcycles and cars for persons with special needs have a warranty of 17 years.
- For automobiles and light trucks, the warranty period is 18 years.
- Heavy vehicles and tractors have a 20-years.
- Buses have been in service for 21 years.
Types of Driving test
You must meet follow the whole process, to obtaining a driving license, which includes but is not limited to:
- In order to go to the training program, you must go to one of the approved training institutes.
- Passing the tests that are needed.
- In order to get a driving license, you have to pay the fees.
Fitness and Optical test
You must pass both of the tests (fitness and optical) from the approved bodies. Thus, a medical report must be written by a doctor who is concerned. This report must be written by an approved doctor or by a medical body that has been approved by the RTA. The report should clearly state physical, optical, and mental health which indicate whether you will drive safely on the road.
Contact lenses and glasses, as well as other approved vision-enhancement devices, can be used “if it makes sense.”
The optical test should be done by one of the authorized optical centers, and the results should be sent electronically to the relevant bodies.
Theoretical Test / Knowledge Test
If you want to get a driver’s license, you have to pass a written test that checks your knowledge and understanding of traffic laws and how to drive safely.
- The RTA has set up an electronic system that connects all driving schools so that the theoretical test is the same.
- As a favor, the theoretical test can be taken in many languages.
- When there aren’t any common languages, RTA will come up with a solution after taking a look at the situation.
- Before the final On-Road test, you must pass the theory test.
Must clear the yard test to get a license. This test must be clear prior to the practical test being approved by RTA.
This test checks the competency and readiness for the final On-Road test. This test is conducted after you pass 4 stages of the practical test.
On-road driving test
After clearing the theory test, you have to clear the practical test According to the plan set and approved by the Licensing Agency, the tests will go as planned.
If you don’t pass the practical test, you’ll have to do more training, according to the policy of the Licensing agency.
Fees of Driving license
You can check here.
Validity of the Driving license
UAE and GCCC citizens can get a new driving license every 10 years, while residents can get new licenses every five years for the same price.
Procedure to renew Driving license
Most of the emirates allow people to renew their driving licenses on the internet, but not all of them. When you want to get a new driver’s license, you have to pay all of your traffic fines first. 10 AED per month will be charged to customers who don’t renew their driving license for more than a month, so they will have to pay.
|License renewal fees for a period of more than one year||AED 300|
|License renewal fees for one year||AED 100|
|Renewal delay fines (If applicable) for each month||AED 10|
Where to renew?
To renew your Driving License, you can log in here.