Job description / Role
Tax - Transformation Director - Dubai
Line of Service
General Tax Consulting
The Transformation Director is responsible for delivering the transformation and business improvement agenda for the Middle East Tax & Legal Services Line of Service (TLS LoS).
Their role is to work with the ME TLS Leadership and the Middle East TLS Leader to understand the vision for the LoS, challenges currently faced within client delivery, back office processes, opportunities for LoS improvement, driving regionalization, business units transformation synergies, potential for technology disruption, applicability of global transformation initiatives and overseeing all strategic change initiatives.
Working as part of regional Transformation community, managing a small number of resources, dependent on the scale of transformation activities within the region. A key part of their role is to collaborate to find regional transformation themes and synergies for optimisation of service delivery.
The Transformation Director should work outside the existing confines of the role – the activities are not limited to technology transformation / implementation – and instead employ a holistic and integrated approach to business optimisation and improvement, working with all regional and business unit stakeholders to visualise out of the box approaches to current issues.
The dynamic nature of our market is such that a range of factors are driving organisations to change, , responding to changes in regulation/legislation, cost reduction, implementing new operating models, (more customer centric) and utilising digital to enable service delivery.
To drive effective change, you will need to be able to take an analytical approach to understanding how the ME TLS LoS works in practice, whilst being sensitive to the change impacts, gaining buy in and driving behavioural change through the adoption of new ways of working. They see the “big picture” for the changes and appreciate the need to align leaders, consider the culture and behaviours needed to drive the changes through the organisation, and importantly make the change personal.
They may have a background in strategy, project management, process re-engineering business operations, HR, or change management and will have experience working on and delivering major organisational changes, including technology enabled change.
You’ll focus on assisting the LoS incorporate increased automation in the tax service delivery process, increase analytic capabilities through data integration, and create solid internal controls that will enable the Tax function to deliver better quality output and contribute more strategically to organisational decision making.
You will also help leverage service delivery centres across the globe and be responsible for designing and promoting technology systems to help the Tax and Legal networks.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
• The Transformation Director should project appropriate seniority into the management of the LoS / BU, with a strong voice at the leadership table.
• Should be strategic and commercially minded with strong analytical skills and an ability to step back and look at the ‘big picture’ (e.g. identifying trends early and driving actions to respond)
• Be able to confidently take decisions and follow through, be able to delegate appropriately within the LoS Transformation Team
• Be good at operationalising strategic priorities, in particular improvements in process and performance
• Demonstrate strong leadership qualities, with experience of leading teams, including energy and enthusiasm and skilled at coaching and motivating others to high performance
• Be comfortable working in a matrix structure, influencing others and achieving results where teams don’t report directly to the role holder
• Have excellent communication skills, keeping stakeholders abreast of current status on a variety of topics so as to earn “trusted advisor” status to BU / LoS leadership team as required
• Develop business cases for each opportunity, and responsible for collating inputs to define cost benefit analysis of each opportunity. Owns business plan and progresses through appropriate governance processes, keeping all key stakeholders informed during the process. Once approved, leads the planning of improvement / transformational programs, identifying Resource requirements and support required from other sources.
• Accountable for understanding the future opportunities and requirements for TLS transformation - both locally, regionally and globally and across the operating model - processes, systems, client delivery mechanisms etc
• Collaborate with TLS leadership to articulate future vision, and focuses on communicating this to all relevant stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
• Partner with TLS Digital Lead Partner to define future technology requirements for practice tools and systems
• Take the lead as appropriate on implementing firm-wide or TLS initiatives, under the guidance of senior stakeholders
• Support future strategic initiatives; and ensure appropriate dissemination of national initiatives / communications into the BU (e.g. annual strategy communications etc.).
• Project manage improvement / transformation initiatives, with responsibility for progress monitoring, tracking against KPIs and reporting to key stakeholders.Responsible for mitigation planning where required. Manages tracking of benefits (financial and intangible) against business plan
• Spend time understanding TLS-appropriate best practices against which current performance and challenges can be base lined and compared to appropriate network / external benchmarks
• Work closely with the other LoS transformation leads to share transformational visions, identify areas of synergy
• Drive all TLS change management activities for transformational / improvement opportunities - developing communications, training programs and roll out plans to mitigate disruption to client facing staff
• Act as a key resource and liaison to other functional areas of the business, building cross-functional relationships as needed
• Manage and deliver large projects by developing the project team, assessing engagement risks throughout, driving conclusions, and reviewing / challenging the output produced by the team
• Scope, define and lead end to end complex change programmes involving understanding the organisational implications of strategy through to design and implementation, working closely with stakeholders and other PwC specialists (e.g. technical specialists, organisation design, learning and training, capability and performance management).
• Design and conduct interviews, workshops and analysing organisation documents and data in the early phases of a programme to help develop a clear understanding of the previous and current change capability, successes, opportunities and risks, using this to refine the change strategy and approach.
• Being accountable for project/programme commercials, e.g. tracking time/budget, managing delivery risks and resourcing, approving expenses, raising invoices, etc
• Managing cross-competency teams creating high performing teams and ensuring performance and individual development objectives are set, monitored and regular feedback is provided.
• Lead the continuous improvement of our people centric change approach and assisting with development of the digital landscape and people and organisation services offered and the tools that support these
• Excellent analytical / numerical skills Formal project management qualification.
• Understanding of LoS business activities, preferably through time supporting clients from within the business
• Ability to articulate complex challenges and solutions succinctly to senior leadership essential
• Ability to explain transformation journeys in a compelling way to all key stakeholders essential
• Ability to develop and support implementation of procedures, controls and policies for functional areas of responsibility
• Ability to develop close and trusted working relationships with senior stakeholders both internally and externally.
• Experience of the end to end change management lifecycle (Strategy to execution to results) across complex multi-change projects and programmes.
• Experience leading and delivering cross-business/cross territory change engagements e.g. across single/multiple sites, functions and/or geographies.
• Experience leading change technology projects/programmes (for e.g SAP, Oracle, Salesforce) or cloud based solutions as an advantage.
• Ability to lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team.
• Excellent interpersonal and managerial skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required to effectively manage professional resources in accounting areas; includes need to work effectively across multiple cultures and regulatory environments
• Ability to effectively supervise a team comprised of different levels of professionals engaged in carrying out support activities.
• 10 years + experience required, across a variety of business segments.
• Background in LoS business Operations and or previous experience of LoS client facing work essential to understanding LoS context and an advantage
• Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate field e.g. Business Administration, Computer Science, Engineering or Finance / Accounting.
• Masters degree level education preferred.
• Recognised relevant professional qualification preferred i.e. Project / Programme Management qualification (PMP / Prince2 / PSM / MPM etc.).
• Proficiency in spoken and written English; Arabic is an advantage
Up to 20%